Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Myanmar rejects US’ genocide claims



Myanmar rejects US’ genocide claims

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Rohingya refugees flee violence in Myanmar to reach Bangladesh on October 16, 2017. The US has determined that the violence against the Rohingya minority committed by Myanmar’s military amounted to genocide and crimes against humanity on Sunday. AFP

Myanmar rejects US’ genocide claims

Myanmar’s ruling State Administration Council (SAC) on March 22 said it “categorically rejects” a US declaration that its armed forces committed genocide against the mostly Muslim Rohingya minority during a “military crackdown” five years ago.

Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya fled Buddhist-majority Myanmar following the 2017 crackdown, which is now the subject of a genocide case at the highest UN court in The Hague.

On March 21, the US officially declared violence against the Rohingya community amounted to genocide, saying there was clear evidence of an attempt to “destroy” the group.

Myanmar’s SAC-appointed foreign ministry slammed the declaration as “far from reality” in a statement on March 22.

“Myanmar has never engaged in any genocidal actions and does not have any genocidal intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, racial or religious group or any other group,” it said.

Around 850,000 Rohingya are languishing in camps in neighbouring Bangladesh, recounting mass killings and rape during the crackdown.

Another 600,000 members of the community remain in Myanmar’s Rakhine state where they report widespread oppression.

Since dissolving the civilian administration of Aung San Suu Kyi last year, the SAC has doubled down on widespread perceptions that the Rohingya are interlopers from Bangladesh and continues to deny them citizenship, rights and access to services.

SAC chief Senior General Min Aung Hlaing – who was head of the armed forces during the 2017 crackdown – has dismissed the word Rohingya as “an imaginary term”.

Citing the killings of thousands and forcing close to a million to flee the country in 2016 and 2017, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said he had “determined that members of the [Myanmar] military committed genocide and crimes against humanity against Rohingya”.

Blinken said it will support global efforts, including in the International Court of Justice, to bring cases of crimes against humanity against the Myanmar military.

A legal designation of genocide – defined by the UN as acts “committed with intent to destroy, in whole or part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group” – could be followed by further sanctions and limits on aid, among other penalties, he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro