Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Russian court extends to 9 years Navalny prison term



Russian court extends to 9 years Navalny prison term

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny is seen on a screen via a video link during the verdict in his embezzlement and contempt of court trial at the IK-2 prison colony in the town of Pokrov in Vladimir Region on Tuesday. AFP

Russian court extends to 9 years Navalny prison term

A Russian court on March 22 found jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny guilty of additional charges and extended his sentence to nine years in a higher security prison.

The sentencing came on the 27th day of what Moscow calls its “special military operation” in pro-Western Ukraine.

Following the verdict, President Vladimir Putin’s most vocal domestic critic who has been behind bars for more than a year said the Russian leader was afraid of the truth.

“Putin is afraid of the truth, I have always said this. Fighting censorship, relaying the truth to the people of Russia always remained our priority,” the 45-year-old opposition politician said in a post on Instagram after the sentencing.

With his trademark sense of humour, Navalny took the extension of his jail time on new charges of embezzlement and contempt of court in stride, joking that his “space flight is being extended – my ship has gotten caught in a time loop”.

He also urged Russians to resist “these war criminals”.

He stood trial inside his penal colony in the town of Pokrov outside Moscow.

“Navalny committed fraud – the theft of property by an organised group,” judge Margarita Kotova said, according to an AFP reporter present at the hearing.

The judge also found Navalny guilty of the less severe charge of contempt of court.

Navalny will serve his new sentence in a strict-regime penal colony, which will place him in much harsher conditions.

His lawyers, Olga Mikhailova and Vadim Kobzev, were detained by police following the verdict but were later freed.

Navalny’s defence team said the new sentence replaces the one he is currently serving, meaning that he will not be freed for another eight years, instead of a year and a half.

Last year, the opposition leader was sentenced to two and a half years for violating parole for old fraud charges while recovering from a poison attack with Novichok nerve agent that he blames on the Kremlin.

Navalny will also have to pay a fine of 1.2 million rubles ($11,500) and upon his release he will have to abide by various restrictions on his movement and activities for a further one and a half years.

He appeared for the hearing on March 22 in the makeshift court wearing his black prison uniform, with journalists watching via a video link.

He listened closely as judge Kotova read out the verdict, sometimes smiling.

Navalny has denied the charges against him, saying they were punishment for challenging 69-year-old Putin.

Investigators accused Navalny of stealing for personal use $7 million worth of donations that were given to his political organisations.

The prosecutors had last week called for Navalny’s sentence to be extended to 13 years as well as for his transfer to a strict-regime penal colony.

His wife Yulia Navalnaya said she was proud of her husband.

“The figure 9 means nothing whatsoever,” she wrote on Instagram.

“I love you, my dearest person in the world, and I have not stopped being proud of you for many, many years.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a