Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - 101 capital bag snatchers land in jail in first six months of 2022

101 capital bag snatchers land in jail in first six months of 2022

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Phnom Penh municipal police arrested 101 suspects in 75 incidences of bag snatching on the city’s streets in the first six months of the year, according to a new report. POLICE

101 capital bag snatchers land in jail in first six months of 2022

According to a new report, in the first six months of the year, Phnom Penh municipal police arrested 101 suspects in 75 incidences of bag snatching on the city’s streets.

Municipal police spokesman San Sok Seiha told The Post on July 19 that the suspects had been referred to court for further proceedings and that their fate would be at the discretion of the court.

“Once a suspect is in our custody, we send the case file and evidence to court for further legal action,” he said.

He said municipal police chief Sar Thet was closely involved in operations to target these kinds of crimes.

“We are aware that these crimes typically take place outside certain places, like banks and supermarkets, so as a preventative measure, we have stationed more officers at these locations,” he said.

“If we compare these figures with the previous two years, they appear high, but it is important to remember that the capital was locked down due to Covid-19 for much of that time. I believe our officers are doing an excellent job in suppressing these crimes,” added Sok Seiha.

People’s Centre for Development and Peace (PDP) president Yong Kim Eng said that targeting these kinds of opportunistic robberies was key to implementing the government’s safe village and commune policy.

“I believe the driving force behind these crimes is usually gambling or drug use. The police need to deploy more officers to keep citizens safe,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a