Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Banned Chut Wutty film screened in capital

Banned Chut Wutty film screened in capital

People watch a screening of I Am Chut Wutty at Phnom Penh Solidarity House last night.
People watch a screening of I Am Chut Wutty at Phnom Penh Solidarity House last night. Lay Samean

Banned Chut Wutty film screened in capital

Despite a government ban, a documentary about Chut Wutty was screened at several locations around Phnom Penh yesterday to mark the fourth anniversary of the environmentalist’s murder – but not without some interference.

The Ministry of Culture last week ordered the managers of the Meta House Café not to show the film on the grounds that the film had not been submitted for approval.

However, in the city’s Sen Sok district yesterday, Solidarity House, home to a group of NGOs, hosted a Khmer-language screening attended by director Fran Lambrick and Cheuy Oddom Reaksmey, Chut Wutty’s son.

The event had been advertised on the film’s official Facebook page.

District authorities had visited earlier in the day to enquire about the screening of I Am Chut Wutty, according to Sor Mory, president of the Cambodia Youth Network, which helped to organise the event.

Thirty minutes into the film, the police returned. Sak Chan Kannarith, the deputy district chief, demanded an end to the film, citing a lack of permission, but Mory negotiated to allow the film to finish.

Mory said he had been summoned to the police station today because he had not obtained permission from the local authorities nor the Ministry of Culture to screen the film. But he maintained the event was legal.

“They had no right to shut us down – this is a private place.”

The film was also screened yesterday by the Flicks movie house at an undisclosed location and the NGO CCHR at its offices for staff only and made available online to watch free.

Lambrick said the ministry’s ban had only furthered the film’s message. “I think it’s made it more powerful,” she said. “So many people have seen it because of the ban.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a