A plastic bag processing factory in Phnom Penh was completely destroyed in a fire on the afternoon of June 4, though no one was injured, according to the municipal fire prevention, extinguishing and rescue department.
Department director Prum Yorn said the factory, located in Russey village of Meanchey district’s Stung Meanchey II commune, caught fire the day workers were allowed to take time off for travelling to their hometown to vote in the June 5 commune council elections.
While the fire razed the 750sqm building and damaged around 70 per cent of the plastic material at the facility, as well as two processing machines, firefighters ensured neighbouring properties were left untouched, he added.
“The fire did not spread to other people’s houses because the municipal fire brigade were successful in tackling the blaze, using 16 fire trucks and 64 cubic metres of water to extinguish it.
“According to inspections and the questioning of witnesses at the scene, including the factory owner, the fire was caused by an electrical fault,” Yorn said.
It took firefighters two hours to completely extinguish the blaze, he noted.
According to the Ministry of Interior’s fire prevention, extinguishing and rescue department, fires caused 11 deaths and 31 injuries in the first five months of this year, damaging a large number of properties, including a total of 400 houses and 40 market stalls.