Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Five ex-NagaWorld staffers take severance

Five ex-NagaWorld staffers take severance

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Labour ministry officials meet with the five former NagaWorld employees and the company representatives on May 18. LABOUR MINISTRY

Five ex-NagaWorld staffers take severance

The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training announced that five more of the nearly 400 former NagaWorld employees who were laid off had willingly accepted severance pay.

According to the ministry’s press release, on May 25 the five former employees of the integrated casino resort – Phan Sothy, Sao Sambath, Ouk Sophoan, Seng Vannarith and Ros Sopheak – accepted the solution that was offered to them. They are among those who previously asked Minister of Interior Sar Kheng to intervene in their dispute.

“As of [May 25], 192 of the 373 former employees had accepted severance pay, with only 181 continuing to reject the compensation offered,” it said.

The ministry said the National Employment Agency has received resumes from them and is assisting them in looking for new job opportunities.

It added that in accordance with the guidelines set by the interior minister, from whom the workers asked for intervention, the payment of severance has been verified with the company representative. The payments were in line with the laws related to dismissal from common work.

Tes Rukhaphal, secretary-general of the ministry’ Committee for the Resolution of Strikes, told The Post that the five former employees had attended a presentation by ministry officials on the formula used to calculate payments last week. On May 25, they decided to accept the severance pay and formally end their employment contracts.

“They listened to the presentation and realised that payments were being calculated according to the law. The severance payment offered was higher than what was legally required, so they decided to accept it voluntarily. No one forced them to accept it, in fact no one could, as it requires their signature,” he said.

He said the labour ministry encouraged the remaining former employees to accept the calculation formula and further explanations.

“Most of those who have not accepted the offer have not heard the ministry’s explanations. Some of them say they have heard that the calculations made by the company were incorrect. When we asked them how it was incorrect, they could not tell us, because they did not know. This is a problem,” he said.

“Some of them did not know how much money they might get, but were told that the payment was not right, as they had expected to receive more,” he said.

Rukhaphal said the amount owed depended on the individual’s role and seniority. He said some former employees had received tens of thousands of dollars in compensation.

Rights group ADHOC spokesman Soeung Senkaruna said it was the strikers’ decision whether to accept the compensation.

“It is not strange that some have accepted payment, because in any situation like this there will be those who want to continue to strike and those who do not,” he said, adding that negotiations between NagaWorld and the former employees remained at an impasse because neither party had so far been willing to concede anything to the other.

He urged the labour ministry to increase its efforts to solve the issue.

As of May 18, the two parties had not found any common ground, despite the ministry mediating 11 meetings between them.

The union representatives and former employees had asked the company to reinstate those who were dismissed from their jobs, while the firm maintained that doing so would be unacceptable as the number of employees would exceed the amount required.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro