Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Flash floods hit 70sq km of Kampong Thom

Flash floods hit 70sq km of Kampong Thom

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Kun Kim, first vice-president of the National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM), led a working group accompanied by provincial governor Nguon Rattanak to inspect the situation on August 1-2. NCDM

Flash floods hit 70sq km of Kampong Thom

One town and four districts in Kampong Thom province have been hit by flash floods in the rainy season so far this year, affecting more than 7,000ha, or 70sq km, of rice fields belonging to over 4,000 households, according to the provincial Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.

Stung Sen town and Kampong Svay, Baray, Taing Kork and Santuk districts were impacted, with 7,409ha of land owned by 4,509 households affected by flash floods across 24 communes as of August 1, with 3,793ha damaged.

Kun Kim, first vice-president of the National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM), led a working group accompanied by provincial governor Nguon Rattanak to inspect the situation on August 1-2 to ensure that timely response measures were taken.

Kim advised the provincial Disaster Management Secretariat to continue monitoring and updating as to the impact on a regular basis to facilitate the effective provision of food, as well as rice seeds for recovery after the floods receded.

“The provincial disaster management committee is ready and has timely and effective response measures to reduce the impacts to a minimum,” he said.

Provincial agriculture department director Pen Vanrith told The Post that as of August 2, while rain continued to fall, it had eased from previous levels, as he continued to monitor affected areas.

Vanrith said his working group were assessing suitable canals in which to release the flood water to avoid serious damage to rice fields.

Rice seeds were yet to be distributed due to the high water levels, he added.

“They cannot be handed out yet. We must wait for the flood waters to recede. We will distribute rice seeds to those affected as the agriculture ministry has prepared,” Vanrith said.

Across three communes in Stung Sen town, 285ha of land belonging to 122 households were affected, of which 15ha were damaged.

In Baray district, 756ha of land owned by 226 households were damaged across three communes, while 4,425ha belonging to 2,171 households were affected over eight communes in Kampong Svay, 707ha of which were damaged.

Seven communes of Taing Kork district were affected across 966ha belonging to 583 households, of which 499ha were damaged. In Santuk district, 977ha owned by 557 households were affected, 572ha of which were damaged.

MOST VIEWED

  • Siem Reap drain canal now ‘mangrove’ promenade

    A more than half a kilometre long stretch of canal in Siem Reap has been covered and turned into a promenade to attract visitors, said Ly Rasmey, secretary of state at the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction, on September 16. The new pedestrianised

  • Typhoon Noru brings flash floods – 16 dead

    An official warned that that the 16th typhoon of the season, Noru, had brought heavy rains to areas the Mekong River and flooded thousands of homes in the provinces bordering Thailand. As of September 27, the death toll from the flooding had risen to 16. National Committee

  • Angkor wildlife, aquarium park still to open October

    The Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium complex about 30km southeast of Siem Reap town with initial total investment of more than $70 million is reportedly still on track for an end-October opening. The park is located on a 100ha plot along National Road 6 in Kbon village, Khchas

  • Final verdicts for Khmer Rouge leaders ‘vital’ for next generation

    Nearly a decade after the commencement of Case 002/02 against Khieu Samphan back in 2014, the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) is now set to deliver its final verdict for the former Khmer Rouge head of state. The Supreme Court Chamber of the ECCC,

  • Defence minister reaffirms Kingdom’s staunch support for One-China policy

    Minister of National Defence General Tea Banh has reaffirmed Cambodia’s unwavering support for the One-China policy. Tea Banh was speaking at the September 20 ceremonial handover of 117 vehicles and other military equipment donated by China’s defence ministry, held at Phnom Chumreay International Military Training

  • Deaths due to ‘lifestyle’ diseases rise in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Health has called on people to pay closer attention to their health to protect themselves from non-communicable diseases (NCDs) which it said have caused high rates of deaths in the country. Ministry secretary of state York Sambath made the call at a