Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Government to investigate illegal Mondulkiri land grabs

Government to investigate illegal Mondulkiri land grabs

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Eang Mengly called on the inter-ministerial working group to take measures against offenders regardless of their power or wealth. Environment Department

Government to investigate illegal Mondulkiri land grabs

Minister of Interior Sar Kheng issued a directive on Thursday establishing an inter-ministerial working group to study illegal forest land occupation and encroachment of protected areas in Mondulkiri province.

Sar Kheng assigned Minister of Interior secretary of state Ang Mongkul as head of the working group and Ministry of Environment secretary of state Neth Pheaktra as his deputy, along with 11 other members from relevant ministries and units.

“This inter-ministerial working group is tasked with studying each case of occupied forest land in Mondulkiri province and collects documents and evidence for officials,” he said.

The directive states the group has to study and propose proper solution measures for each case accordingly while cooperating with the relevant sub-national authorities.

The working group has to prepare reports on field study results and solution measures and ask Sar Kheng’s permission to decide the case.

Adhoc Mondulkiri provincial coordinator Eang Mengly said it is good that Sar Kheng has set up an inter-ministerial working group to study cases of illegal forest land occupation in protected areas in the province. But he expressed concern over the group’s performance.

“Concerning setting up this inter-ministerial working group, it is important that the Minister of Interior understands that clearing, grabbing and occupying illegal forest land in naturally protected areas is really complicated and systematically collusive,” he said.

He said when illegal forest land had been encroached upon on a large scale in the past, the provincial authorities have never had measures to stop them.

Mengly also called on the inter-ministerial working group to take serious measures against offenders no matter who they are or how wealthy or powerful to improve the effectiveness of law enforcement and cut off all cancerous diseases affecting the sub-national level.

MOST VIEWED

  • NY sisters inspired by Khmer heritage

    Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, Cambodian-American sisters Edo and Eyen Chorm have always felt a deep affinity for their Cambodian heritage and roots. When the pair launched their own EdoEyen namesake jewellery brand in June, 2020, they leaned heavily into designs inspired by ancient Khmer

  • Schools drawn into Manet degree row

    Prime Minister Hun Sen stepped into the Hun Manet-Sam Rainsy war of words over the validity of Manet’s degree from the US Military Academy at West Point, set off by Rainsy’s claims that Manet had received a “second-class degree” or “honorary degree”. Hun

  • Cambodia records first Omicron community case

    The Ministry of Health on January 9 reported 30 new Covid-19 cases, 29 of which were imported and all were confirmed to be the Omicron variant. The ministry also reported 11 recoveries and no new deaths. Earlier on January 9, the ministry also announced that it had detected the Kingdom's

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • PM eyes Myanmar peace troika

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has suggested that ASEAN member states establish a tripartite committee or diplomatic troika consisting of representatives from Cambodia, Brunei and Indonesia that would be tasked with mediating a ceasefire in Myanmar. The premier also requested that Nippon Foundation chairman Yohei Sasakawa

  • NagaWorld protest part of ‘conspiracy’

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court and police held a joint-press conference on January 4 to clarify details concerning the arrest of nine former employees of the integrated resort NagaWorld and the charges brought against them, saying that the authorities had clear grounds for taking legal action.