Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kem Ley funeral committee dogged by ‘threats’

Kem Ley funeral committee dogged by ‘threats’

But Buntenh, leader of the Independent Monk Network for Social Justice, attends Kem Ley's funeral in Takeo province last week.
But Buntenh, leader of the Independent Monk Network for Social Justice, attends Kem Ley's funeral in Takeo province last week. Heng Chivoan

Kem Ley funeral committee dogged by ‘threats’

Prominent members of the committee that organised the funeral for slain political analyst Kem Ley received threats warning them against participating and have now left the country, according to activist monk But Buntenh, whose comments were supported by at least two other members of the committee yesterday.

Buntenh, who himself has left for Thailand, said from as early as July 13, “most of the funeral committee members” were warned not to facilitate the funeral, claiming he was personally threatened by a military general on the telephone.

Moeun Tola, who was also on the committee, said yesterday that in addition to Buntenh, Voice of Democracy director Pa Nguon Teang and Ee Sarom, head of rights NGO Sahmakum Teang Tnaut, were directly threatened. Both men are understood to have left Cambodia. Teang declined to comment while Sarom was unreachable.

Tola said that although he had not received a specific threat, he had noticed strange people following him and had been contacted by blocked numbers only to have the caller hang up. Another member of the funeral committee, who declined to be named, said he had been told of the threat against Sarom and had also been followed to his office.

“I’m worried; now I don’t like going out anywhere,” he said.

Tens of thousands of people took to the streets on July 24 to join Kem Ley’s funeral procession from Phnom Penh to his home in Takeo province.

After the funeral, Buntenh said he went into hiding because he feared for his safety. Articles then appeared in pro-government media accusing him of embezzling $30,000 from money donated to Ley’s family.

However, this was roundly denied yesterday by Buntenh, Ley’s brother and the analyst’s wife, Bou Rachana. “He has never come close to the cashbox or kept the money,” Rachana said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Research key to Kanitha’s rep for expertise

    Sok Kanitha is used to weighing in on controversial issues using a confident approach that signals expertise and authority, and a recent video she made was no exception. Her “Episode 342: The History of NATO” video went live on January 16, 2023 and immediately shot to 30,000 likes and 3,500

  • Cambodia maintains 'Kun Khmer' stance despite Thailand’s boycott threat

    Cambodia has taken the position that it will use the term "Kun Khmer" to refer to the sport of kickboxing at the upcoming Southeast Asian (SEA) Games, and has removed the term Muay from all references to the sport. Despite strong reactions from the Thai

  • Knockout! Kun Khmer replaces ‘Muay’ for Phnom Penh Games

    Cambodia has decided to officially remove the word Muay from the programme of the 32nd Southeast Asian (SEA) Games 2023 in May. “Kun Khmer” will instead be used to represent the Southeast Asian sport of kickboxing, in accordance with the wishes of the Cambodian people. Vath

  • Artificial insemination takes herd from 7 to 700

    Some farms breed local cows or even import bulls from a broad for the purpose of breeding heavier livestock for meat production. One Tbong Khnum farmer has found a more efficient way. Hout Leang employs artificial insemination to fertilise local cows. Thanks to imported “straws”

  • New int’l airport nearly half complete as travel industry returns to life

    Construction of a new airport that is slated to serve the capital has passed the 43 per cent completion mark, raising prospects for a proper recovery in the civil aviation and tourism sectors as international travellers return to the Kingdom in increasingly large numbers. The figure

  • Chinese group tours return to Cambodia starting Feb 6

    Cambodia is among 20 countries selected by Beijing for a pilot programme allowing travel agencies to provide international group tours as well as flight and hotel packages to Chinese citizens, following a three-year ban. As the days tick down until the programme kicks off on February 6,