Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Labour Ministry seeks to drop charges against activist Moeun Tola

Labour Ministry seeks to drop charges against activist Moeun Tola

Activist monk But Buntenh, labour rights campaigner Moeun Tola and independent media advocate Pa Nguon Teang have been charged with “breach of trust” over funds collected for Kem Ley’s funeral. The Ministry of Labour asked the court on Friday to drop the charges against Tola. Post Staff
Activist monk But Buntenh, labour rights campaigner Moeun Tola and independent media advocate Pa Nguon Teang have been charged with “breach of trust” over funds collected for Kem Ley’s funeral. The Ministry of Labour asked the court on Friday to drop the charges against Tola. Post Staff

Labour Ministry seeks to drop charges against activist Moeun Tola

The Ministry of Labour on Friday asked the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to drop charges against labour rights advocate Moeun Tola, who was accused by a politician of misappropriating funds raised for slain political analyst Kem Ley’s funeral.

The court charged Tola, as well as activist monk But Buntenh and independent media advocate Pa Nguon Teang, with “breach of trust” in January, despite the fact that Kem Ley’s family members said none of the three had been involved in managing funeral funds. The charges were widely decried by rights groups.

Now, the Ministry of Labour is requesting that charges be dropped against Tola, to “ensure freedom of association”. Tola, who is outside of the country, said he suspects that pressure from clothing brands may have played a role.

Multiple apparel groups representing some of the largest US and European brands, including Gap and H&M, have urged the government to drop charges against him.

Another group, US apparel giant VF Corporation – which represents the North Face, JanSport and Timberland – also expressed concern about what it said were “recent actions that seem to undermine progress toward improving worker rights” in a meeting with the ministry last month.

Naly Pilorge, of the rights group Licadho, said she was not sure why the ministry made the request, but expressed hope that charges would be dropped, “urgently and in writing”, against Tola, Buntenh and Nguon Teang.

Tola described the request as a “positive move”, but said he was still awaiting an official decision from the court.

“I still maintain that I committed nothing wrong,” Tola said. “I think there should be an official paper from the court and that [charges against] the other two should be dropped too.”

The Labour Ministry did not explain why it made the request or why it was not doing the same for the charges against Buntenh and Nguon Teang. Ministry spokesman Heng Sour did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Ley’s widow, Bou Rachana, repeated her belief Sunday that all three men are innocent.

“The complaint against these three people is not based on evidence and it can’t be trusted. The complaint is just to defame the three,” she said.

Ministry of Justice spokesman Chin Malin said the decision was up to the municipal court, which has no obligation to the Ministry of Labour.

“If they have the evidence to charge, it is their power. They don’t need to inform anyone else or any ministry,” he said.

Representatives from the court declined to comment.

Nguon Teang congratulated Tola on the news, but said he was not surprised as the case was manipulated by the government from the beginning.

For his part, Buntenh said he won’t appeal for charges to be dropped.

“They created [it] themselves and drop [it] themselves,” he said, claiming the case is politically motivated.

Buntenh said appeasing the garment industry might be a priority for the government, both because they are afraid of the sector’s capacity for protests, and to preserve beneficial trade agreements with the US and Europe.

“I’m not requesting, I’m not asking this dirty government to drop my case because they created [it],” he said.

Additional reporting by Andrew Nachemson

MOST VIEWED

  • Capital-Poipet express rail project making headway

    The preliminary results of a feasibility study to upgrade the Phnom Penh-Poipet railway into Cambodia’s first express railway indicate that the project would cost more than $4 billion and would take around four years to complete. The study was carried out by China Road and

  • Thai boxers to join SEA Games’ Kun Khmer event

    The Cambodian SEA Games Organising Committee (CAMSOC) – together with the Kun Khmer International Federation (KKIF) and Khmer Boxing Federation – have achieved a “great success” by including Kun Khmer in the upcoming biennial multi-sports event on its home soil for the first time, said a senior

  • Bullets to bracelets: Siem Reap man makes waste from war wearable

    Jewellery is often made from valuable gemstones like emeralds or diamonds and precious metals like gold or silver, or valueless things like animal horns. But a man in Siem Reap has approached the manufacture of delicate pieces from a different angle. His unique form of

  • Second Hungary business forum set for H2

    Cambodia has asked Hungary to provide GSP- (Generalised System of Preferences) Plus facilities for when the Kingdom sheds its least-developed country (LDC) label, as the two countries prepare to hold a second business forum in the second half (H2) of this year to expand trade

  • 61% of 2022 imports came from just 3 markets

    The three largest exporters to Cambodia – mainland China, Vietnam and Thailand – accounted for 60.94 per cent of the Kingdom’s total merchandise imports last year, at $18.245 billion, which was up 11.99 per cent over 2021, according to the General Department of Customs and Excise. Cambodia’s total imports

  • CPP sets out five primary strategic goals for 2023-28

    The Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) on January 29 concluded its two-day extraordinary congress, setting the party’s priority goals for 2023-2028. The ruling party’s congress was attended by more than 3,000 members from across the Kingdom, including the members of the permanent and central committees,