Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Moeun Tola quizzed over Ley fund

Moeun Tola quizzed over Ley fund

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Labour rights activist Moeun Tola speaks to the press last year outside Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Heng Chivoan

Moeun Tola quizzed over Ley fund

Labour rights advocate and executive director of the Center for Alliance of Labor and Human Rights (Central) Moeun Tola was questioned by Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Friday over embezzlement allegations relating to the funeral funds of slain political analyst Kem Ley.

Tola, Pa Nguon Teang, the founder and executive director of the Cambodian Center for Independent Media (CCIM), and Buth Buntenh, the founder of the Independent Monks Network, are accused of wrongdoing by Pich Sros, chief of the Cambodian Youth Party.

Khun Tharo, a program coordinator at Central, an NGO, said Tola, who was charged by the prosecutor over the allegations, was questioned for over an hour by an investigating judge. He is currently waiting to hear if the judge agrees with the prosecutor to proceed to trial.

“If the investigating judge decides to drop the charges, he will issue a formal statement. But the judge also needs the prosecutor’s consent for this, and if the latter agrees, the case will not proceed,” Tharo said.

Tola could not be reached for comment on Sunday, while Ham Sunrith, his defence lawyer, declined to comment.

William Conklin, country director at labour advocacy NGO Solidarity Center, said he hopes the court will decide to drop the charges against Tola.

“I think it will be a good thing if the court drops the charges and solves this case quickly. There are many people watching this case. But the court is just following procedure. Even so, we hope to have a solution soon,” he said.

Bou Rachana, Ley’s widow, has previously told The Post that she did not recognise or agree with the complaint. She said Sros is not a family member and would therefore not know anything about the funeral fund.

“The allegation is unreasonable. Sros has done this to discredit Buntenh, Nguon Teang and Tola,” Rachana said.

This year, some companies and prominent buyers’ associations, including the VF Corporation in the United States, sent a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen asking for a review of the case and others that allegedly contravene human rights in the country.

Recently, the Ministry of Labour also sent a letter to the court requesting that the charges against Tola be dropped.

MOST VIEWED

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Police arrest Canadian with 167kg of drugs

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on November 15 placed a Canadian national in pre-trial detention in connection with smuggling and possessing 167kg of illegal drugs. Deputy National Police chief in charge of anti-drug enforcement Mak Chito told The Post on November 15 that the man was arrested