Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Supreme Court upholds sentences for 2014 grenade attack

Supreme Court upholds sentences for 2014 grenade attack

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Noun Samrith, left, walks with Eng Dalin outside the Supreme Court in Phnom Penh on Wednesday. Kim Sarom

Supreme Court upholds sentences for 2014 grenade attack

Cambodia's Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the sentences of four men, including a former commune chief, for their involvement in a 2014 grenade attack in Phnom Penh that killed the intended target’s 11-year-old son and wounded five others.

In July 2015, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentenced the group of men to 30 years to life in prison for conspiring to murder Sorn Sin, who was engaged in both a political and land dispute with the Kok Roka commune chief at the time, Phy Nop, who drew up the plan to throw a grenade at Sin’s family home in Sen Sok district in October 2014.

Nop was found guilty of planning the assassination and was sentenced to life in prison, a decision that was upheld on Wednesday.

Noun Samrith, one of his accomplices, was also handed a life sentence for throwing the grenade, which exploded just two metres from Sin and his relatives as they ate dinner on their patio. Sin's son was killed, while he and four of his relatives were seriously injured during the explosion.

Eng Dalin, who drove the motorbike carrying Samrith, is serving a 30-year sentence, as is Pov Bunthoeun, who hired Dalin and Samrith for the job.

Soeung Panhavuth, one of the presiding judges on Wednesday, said Nop and Bunthoeun were not present in court due to illness.

During the 2015 trial, Nop confessed to having plotted the murder because he took exception to Sin’s allegations that he had bought votes and bribed the Phnom Penh Municipal Election Commission.

Samrith told the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2015 that he had been hired for $5,000, but was only paid half his share for having miss the intended target.

Bunthoeun at the time also admitted his involvement to the court and said Nop had promised him $10,000.

In its 2015 decision, the court also ordered Nop to pay around $180,000 in compensation to the victims.

MOST VIEWED

  • NY sisters inspired by Khmer heritage

    Growing up in Brooklyn, New York, Cambodian-American sisters Edo and Eyen Chorm have always felt a deep affinity for their Cambodian heritage and roots. When the pair launched their own EdoEyen namesake jewellery brand in June, 2020, they leaned heavily into designs inspired by ancient Khmer

  • Schools drawn into Manet degree row

    Prime Minister Hun Sen stepped into the Hun Manet-Sam Rainsy war of words over the validity of Manet’s degree from the US Military Academy at West Point, set off by Rainsy’s claims that Manet had received a “second-class degree” or “honorary degree”. Hun

  • Cambodia records first Omicron community case

    The Ministry of Health on January 9 reported 30 new Covid-19 cases, 29 of which were imported and all were confirmed to be the Omicron variant. The ministry also reported 11 recoveries and no new deaths. Earlier on January 9, the ministry also announced that it had detected the Kingdom's

  • The effects of the USD interest rate hike on Cambodian economy

    Experts weigh in on the effect of a potential interest rate expansion by the US Federal Reserve on a highly dollarised Cambodia Anticipation of the US Federal Reserve’s interest rate hike in March is putting developing economies on edge, a recent blog post by

  • PM eyes Myanmar peace troika

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has suggested that ASEAN member states establish a tripartite committee or diplomatic troika consisting of representatives from Cambodia, Brunei and Indonesia that would be tasked with mediating a ceasefire in Myanmar. The premier also requested that Nippon Foundation chairman Yohei Sasakawa

  • NagaWorld protest part of ‘conspiracy’

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court and police held a joint-press conference on January 4 to clarify details concerning the arrest of nine former employees of the integrated resort NagaWorld and the charges brought against them, saying that the authorities had clear grounds for taking legal action.