Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers in dispute over land for new Kandal airport take fight to province hall

Villagers in dispute over land for new Kandal airport take fight to province hall

Oeung Sary was among hundreds of villagers urging the Kandal provincial authorities today to resolve their land dispute with tycoon Seang Chanheng.
Oeung Sary was among hundreds of villagers urging the Kandal provincial authorities today to resolve their land dispute with tycoon Seang Chanheng. Pha Lina

Villagers in dispute over land for new Kandal airport take fight to province hall

More than 200 people gathered at Kandal Provincial Hall today demanding intervention in a dispute involving tycoon Seang Chanheng near land earmarked for a massive new $1.5 billion airport development.

Protesters from four communes took complaints to Kandal Provincial Governor Mao Phearun, who declined to comment.

Six people summoned by Military Police were due to be questioned today over accusations of “incitement” after they blocked an excavator from digging on what Chanheng characterised as her “legitimate land” earlier this month.

One of those six, Oeung Sary, refused to appear before the Military Police, saying they would only “put pressure” on her and other villagers.

“Why does the one who takes our land file a complaint against us?” she asked. “We will not go to answer. If they want to arrest us, so be it.”

She accused the government of “bias” towards Chanheng’s business – Heng Development Company – and said the government was more likely to “imprison the people” than find them a solution.

Chanheng, who had her US visa cancelled after The Post wrote about the long-running land disputes and disclosed her conviction for forging land titles in Kampong Chhnang last year, doubled down on her claim that she had purchased the land that and villagers subsequently encroached upon it about five years ago.

The villagers, however, claim they have lived on the disputed land since the 1980s and 1990s.

“We saw and knew already, and the truth remains true,” Chanheng said, adding the protesters were “backed” by unnamed people.

“We are writing a letter [calling] for a public forum in order to meet the people accusing us of grabbing their land.”

Several high-ranking officials, including Minister of Tourism Thong Khon, three-star General Duong Heng, Phnom Penh Police Chief Chuon Sovann and Deputy Phnom Penh Governor Koet Chhe, have also laid claims to land in the vicinity and are embroiled in disputes with a number of companies.

Sorn An, 51, from Ampov Prey commune, said her grandmother’s land was sold to Chanheng’s company for 1 million riel ($250) per hectare, but they had not been properly paid, with some villagers receiving just $25 or $50.

“During the negotiation, they [the company] slammed the table in front of us and threatened us, they locked the door and called the police forces,” An said.

Than Khom, from Prek Sleng commune, said she and other villagers were afraid to enter the Military Police office after they prevented machinery from operating on the disputed land.

“People are suffering and are not satisfied with this,” she said. “You should build a huge prison to detain the people in these few communes. We are willing to walk into the prison if they arrest our representatives, and we will keep protesting.”

Updated: 7:02am, Tuesday 20 February 2018

MOST VIEWED

  • 12th Cambodia int’l film festival to see return of Hollywood star

    Phnom Penh is set to come alive with the magic of cinema as the highly anticipated 12th Cambodia International Film Festival (CIFF) takes centre stage. Boasting an impressive line-up of 188 films from 23 countries, including captivating shorts, feature films, documentaries and animation, the festival promises an

  • Brawl marrs football final as Indonesian take gold in seven goal thriller

    The Indonesian men's U22 men national football team were crowned champions of the 32nd SEA Games in Cambodia, defeating Thailand 5-2 in extra time on May 16 at Olympic National Stadium in Phnom Penh. The match was marred by an ugly incident that occured in the 91

  • Bareknuckle champion wants Kun Khmer fighter

    Dave Leduc, who is the current openweight Lethwei boxing champion in Myanmar, has announced that he will travel to Cambodia this year to challenge SEA Games gold medallist Prum Samnang any time that is convenient, after their planned match later this month in Slovakia was

  • Candlelight Party disqualified from July general election

    The National Election Committee (NEC) has disqualified the Candlelight Party (CP) from contesting the upcoming general election, citing a lack of valid documentation. NEC spokesman Khorn Keomono said the CP failed to fulfil one of the three main requirements: including original documentation proving their registration

  • Thong Khon calls for orderly SEA Games closing ceremony

    Thong Khon, Minister of Tourism and permanent vice-president of the Cambodia SEA Games Organising Committee (CAMSOC), calls on all people who have received tickets to the May 17 closing ceremony of the biennial multi-sports extravaganza at the Morodok Techo National Stadium to ensure that the event

  • 1.4 billion dollar Phnom Penh-Bavet expressway due in four years

    The Government, through the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, has officially signed a public-private partnership agreement with a private company for the construction of a Phnom Penh-Bavet Expressway project that will connect the capital to Svay Rieng province. The budget for the project is