Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Latham 2nd double tonne sets strong lead



Latham 2nd double tonne sets strong lead

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
New Zealand’s captain Tom Latham hits a six on Day 2 of the second cricket test match against Bangladesh on Sunday. AFP

Latham 2nd double tonne sets strong lead

New Zealand captain Tom Latham completed his second career double-hundred Monday as he led his side to a substantial first innings total in the second Test against Bangladesh in Christchurch.

The 29-year-old opener achieved the milestone with a cover drive to the boundary off Taskin Ahmed as New Zealand moved to 387 for two early on the second morning.

Latham was not out 203 with Ross Taylor on 11 and with New Zealand needing to win the Test to square the series.

The left-hander was unbeaten on 186 overnight and brought up his 200 off 305 deliveries in an innings which included 31 fours.

His next target is New Zealand’s Test-best of 302 by Brendon McCullum against India in 2014, and batting coach Luke Ronchi was not ruling it out.

“Just let him get as many as he can. You always want to see things like that broken, but for him it’s going out and doing his processes the way he’s done them so well this innings,” Ronchi said.

The one wicket to fall in the session was Devon Conway who resumed the day on 99 and brought up his century with the first ball of the morning before being run out soon after for 109.

The Bangladesh players then formed a guard of honour as long-serving New Zealand great Taylor made his way to the crease for what is his final Test before retirement.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio